Plum & Coconut Cake
recipe provided by the Chocolate Fish Cafe, Wellington
- 1¾ cups caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 cup soya bean oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- ¾ cup dessicated coconut
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 4/5 fresh plums, stoned and sliced, or tinned plums, well drained, stoned and quartered
- Long thread coconut to sprinkle
- Mix caster sugar and zest together in a mixer bowl.
- ADD oil, eggs and lemon juice.
- Beat mixture until it is well mixed, thick and pale in colour.
- ADD yoghurt, fold through with a spoon until well mixed.
- ADD Flour and fold through.
- Pour into a lined 23cm cake tin.
- Top cake with half the plums and bake for 20 mins at 160C until slightly firm on the top.
- Remove from the oven and place the rest of the plums on top in a circle.
- Sprinkle long thread coconut over the cake, then return to the oven and continue to bake for about another 40 mins until it is firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean.
- This may take longer when using tinned plums. You need to keep checking the cake at this stage.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with either whipped cream or yoghurt.
You may also wish to try this cake recipe with any of the other summerfruits when they are in season.
DELICIOUS – thanks to The Chocolate Fish Café for allowing Summerfruit NZ to share this recipe with its viewers.