Plant & Food Research (PFR) and MPI are offering remote microscope diagnostics (RMD) pest identification in Clyde, this season. This is a very useful service for the identification of pests during a phytosanitary inspection. RMD pest identification works by connecting microscopic pest images with MPI’s Auckland identification facility.
This service occurs in real time meaning identification is faster than sending pests away to be identified. Confirmed pest identifications can be available within one to four hours. Preparation of the pests for identification is done by PFR and final identification is done by MPI.
- RMD services will operate out of Clyde Research Orchard at 990 Earnscleugh Road, RD1, Clyde.
- Service will operate 9.00am to 5.00pm – Monday to Friday.
- Packhouses need to let PFR's Bernie Attfield know in advance if they need RMD over the weekend. Accepting weekend work is at PFR and MPI’s discretion.
- This service is provided on a user pays basis similar to previous seasons.
- Packhouses need to take samples directly to PFR themselves.
If you have any questions about this service please contact Bernie Attfield by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 021 170 9572.
Photo: Plant Health and Environment Laboratory staff consulting with Plant & Food Research technicians.