Summerfruit NZ consistently captures grants to underpin our key research.
- Since 2014 $1.1 million in grants secured for summerfruit research programmes.
- Funding has been received from the Sustainable Farming Fund, AGMARDT, Fruitgrowers Charitable Trust, Heinz Wattie's, Summerfruit Exporters Committee.
- 18 projects underway and/or completed since 2014.
- Four projects with a duration of five years or more.
Research extension and tech transfer:
- SummerGreen meetings in Hawkes Bay and Central Otago.
- R&D days and ongoing tech transfer.
- Research & development presentations at the annual conference.
We continue to build strong partnerships with the Sustainable Farming Fund, Plant & Food Research, and Heinz Wattie's.
- Annual review of the PHIs and MRLs for both export and NZ markets.
- Annual PHI wall charts for export apricots and cherries.
- Registration of new agrichemicals.
- Summerfruit NZ is a partner organisation in the Future Crop Protection PGP coordinated by HortNZ ‘A Lighter Touch’.
- Brown rot action plan developed.
- Fungicide resistance testing regime established.
- Weekly seasonal update delivered electronically.
- Upgraded grower and packhouse communications.
- Consumer behavioural research (Nielsen); 2016 & 2017.
- Cool chain research.
- Maturity guides available.
- Growing degree days online.
- The first five apricot varieties have been released from the Summerfruit NZ/Plant & Food Research breeding programme for commercialisation via NZ Summer Fresh (a grower led cooperative).
- Tasting and field walks of Nzsummer series apricots in Hawkes Bay and Central Otago.
- Submission on reform of Plant Variety Rights Act.
- Opening new markets, eg application for our apricots to China.
Fighting to maintain or regain access for a market where the import or phytosanitary conditions have changed, affecting our ability to export there. For example:
- EU & Switzerland compliance programme removed.
Improving existing markets
- Reduction of the frequency of audits by the Japan inspector.
- Change of the phytosanitary inspection requirement by Korea from 2% to the standard 600 fruit sample inspection.
- Industry consultation and mandate gained to become a partner under GIA.
- GIA Deed signed 2017.
- Fruit Fly Council member since 2017.
- Governance Group member since 2017.
- Biosecurity levy consultation and industry referendum completed 2018.
- Part of BMSB council application to EPA for release of Samurai Wasp.
- Biosecurity (Readiness and Response – Summerfruit) Levy Order 2019.
- Summerfruit industry biosecurity strategy completed 2019.
- Fruit Fly Operational Agreement signed 2017.
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Operational Agreement signed 2018.
- Xylella Fastidiosa – in development.
- Drosophila Suzukii – in development.
- Pest and disease most wanted poster – printed and online.
- Pest and disease fact sheets – 13 online.
- Orchard biosecurity manual – online.
- Biosecurity micro credential – partner in development with Primary ITO and other horticulture associations.
- Summerfruit NZ annual conference.
- SummerGreen interactive manual online.
- Websites www.summerfruitnz.co.nz and www.handpickedcrew.co.nz
- Secure grower portal:
- online export registration
- online levy payment
- growing degree days
- Metservice weather tools.
- Prunings distributed fortnightly throughout the season and as required during the rest of the year.
- Summerfruit NZ and Handpicked Crew social media presence on Facebook and Instagram.
- Handpicked Crew campaign
- Crew Card – rewards incentive programme
- Social media
- Regional employee events
- Government policy work
- RSE - sourcing and repatriation
- Immigration NZ - visa criteria
- Ministry of Social Development – NZ Seasonal Work Scheme
- University and regional job expos
- Grower education/workshops
- Job seeker engagement/referral
- Collaboration with other product groups on PickNZ horticulture specific seasonal recruitment tool
- Emissions reduction and climate change adaptation.
- Access to water.
- Social license and right to farm.
- Supply chain disruption.
- Large external investment in cherry orchards.