Tue, Jul. 11, 2023 1:00pm | Plant & Food Research Orchard, 270 Whakarewa Street, Motueka 7196.
The Plant & Food team will provide an update on a recently funded Ministry for Primary Industries’ Sustainable Food and Fibre Futures fund programme titled ‘Future Orchard Planting Systems (FOPS)’. This programme is investigating the following areas in experimental and commercial planar cordon orchards of apple, pear and summerfruit:
- Potential barriers in adopting new growing systems
- Tree performance, management techniques & metrics for sustainable yield & fruit quality.
- Orchard water use and nitrate leaching (apple only)
- Economic modelling and evaluation of planar cordon orchard performance versus other emerging and conventional systems
- This field walk is also an opportunity to view 9-year-old planar cordon apple and pear plantings, and discuss the performance to date of experimental and commercial pipfruit and summerfruit orchards located nationally.
Health and Safety: Please sign-in on arrival.
For enquiries, please contact Adam.Friend@plantandfood.co.nz.